Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend

What a full weekend we had!!!


Thanksgiving Day was awesome! We celebrated here again this year, with Ty's side of the family and my parents joining us for a yummy dinner! It was a perfect day! For the first time in several years, the weather was cool and cozy, which made the preparations for the day all the more enjoyable! It actually felt like Thanksgiving this year! :) Can I just tell you that I LOVE Thanksgiving?! The food...the family...the memories. Mmmmm.....just warms my heart! I told Ty that I think my favorite part of Thanksgiving is the memories it stirs. Whether I am baking a favorite family recipe or ironing Grandma's beautiful, white linen table cloth... fond, long forgotten memories begin to steep in my mind and for the briefest of moments, I can relish in time gone by. I love moments like that!


Our gathering this year was a little smaller than last, with 13 of us here together. It was a perfect size! Just enough to fill our home but not too many that it became overwhelming. We were all able to sit together between two tables set up in our dining room and family room, and how nice it was to linger there after a delicious meal and all share in conversation together. Family. That is how it should be! I hope there are many more years to come that are as cozy as this one and I pray that Luke and Ellie will begin to build wonderful memories like I have!


For whatever reason (uh...can you say b-u-s-y?!) I have few pictures of our day. :( Luke managed to evade my camera completely that afternoon, and the only decent shots I seemed to get were of the tables before all our guests arrived! LOL! Here are a few of those though....






How'd you like my little napkin rings?! I have to admit, I was kinda proud of those...made 'em myself! :) Yeah...just call me Martha Stewart! :) LOL!!!!!

Anyway....here was Ty working on deep-fryin' that huge turkey of ours! He always does such a good job with the turkey! It turned out fabulous!!!!




And the final pictures of the day were of a sweet moment between Ty and Ellie as I caught them dancing again to Carrie Underwood's "All American Girl" in the family room! He even dipped her at the end when the song was done! I love them!!!!





How I managed to not even think of taking a group shot at dinner, I don't know. I'll blame it on the wine! :)

Friday was another day to celebrate for me! It was my last official photo shoot of the season! Whooohooooooo! AND....it was for my dear friend Heidi, so spending some time with her was a treat in itself! The rest of the day was spent putting away the fall decorations in preparation for Christmas, relaxing just a smidge and then after the kid's naps, we ventured out of tag our Christmas tree!

On Saturday, we went with Krystal, Will and the kids to Knott's Berry Farm. It was our first time there in many years, and of-course our first time with kids. I received several free tickets from a friend that had to be used before the 30th, so we ventured down for a little 'free' family fun! :) We had a nice time! The park wasn't too crowded, the weather was amazing and the kids were super well behaved! Ellie made us giggle every time a roller coaster would pass overhead because she would invariably holler out "Woooooowwww" at each one. Cute girl! And Luke had a blast riding all the kiddie rides with either Ty or me. By 3 o'clock, the lack of naps had taken its toll on the munchkins and we decided to head for home. Luke was so worn out that he nearly fell asleep on Ty's shoulder as we walked to the car and was out before we left the parking lot! But overall, both kids were a pleasure to be around all day! We had a lot of fun!

Sunday, our anniversary...was mostly just spent around home. We went to church in the morning and headed home to hang Christmas lights and decorate inside a bit. Since we were away last weekend and celebrated then, it almost didn't feel like it should be our anniversary. But we prepared a nice dinner together as a family and just enjoyed being together!

That's what its all about anyway, right? Family and being together! Nothing is better than that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris, your tablescape turned out beautiful. Definitely Martha Stewart. My eyes drew right to those napkin rings. So fun to decorate for the holidays.
Happy belated Anniversary. Glad you all had a relaxing time together as a family.

Anonymous said...

It was really great seeing you!
Love,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention how cool you were Thanksgiving day! No stress at all! I was so proud of my wife that day. It was an awesome day for the whole family. At one moment, I just sat back and watched everyone talking and having a wonderful time and it warmed my heart to know that I have used my house to continue to give my family a place to celebrate holidays. Holidays always remind me of my mamaw and papaw.

-Ty