Monday, November 24, 2008

Where we've been....

This weekend took my husband and I on a journey....one we never could have imagined and one we will certainly never forget! To say that we have been forever changed is an understatement! I cannot, in words, summarize the depth to which our marriage was enriched this weekend! We have been abundantly blessed!

So you are probably asking where we have been? Like I mentioned on Thursday, we spent from Friday afternoon until late Sunday afternoon in La Jolla at a christian marriage retreat called "A Weekend to Remember". (you can google it if you want to know more.) And let me just tell you that it was, in fact, a weekend to remember! It was probably the single, most profound gift either one of us could ever give to one another! We both agreed...it was enriching...and worth every single penny spent to attend!!!!

On the home front side of things, the kids stayed at my mom & dad's house for the weekend (thank you sooooo much, you guys!!!) and did great! Ellie had a rough start on Friday when I was getting ready to leave though. I had taken them over before lunch to feed them and put them down for a nap there, but Ellie (who must've just known that I was leaving) refused to lay down and cried (sobbed!) for nearly an hour! It wasn't until my mom returned home and took Ellie from my arms (I was beyond frustration at that point!) that Ellie made the mental transition that I was leaving and calmed down to sleep. But phew!!! It was NOT the relaxing start to the weekend I had hoped for!

However, each time we called the kids over the weekend, Luke sounded happy and peaceful as he re-told the adventures of the day and my mom reported that both kiddos were doing well, eating well and sleeping well! Thankfully! :) To know that they were happy was such a relief to us, and made our two nights (TWO NIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!) away all the more enjoyable!

We had our first session at the conference on Friday night after we checked into the hotel and got settled. They upgraded our room to the Regency Club floor where we had access to hor'derves (sp?) and wine each evening, and breakfast each morning! So on Friday, we enjoyed a glass of wine before session and then made our way downstairs for the conference to begin.

Saturday was spent in and out of sessions, with a few couples 'projects' mixed in to hone in on what we were learning. There were, I would guess, 300 couples there this weekend, and to watch us all, in our different stages and places in marriage, growing and changing as couples was incredible! It was so encouraging to see all these men and women there...to be surrounded by them.... all there with the single purpose of loving their spouses better. Wow! You don't get to experience that often in the world today!

Saturday night was 'date night', so Ty and I enjoyed a fantastic dinner at Flemings (which happened to be right across from our hotel!) as our 6th anniversary dinner. Our actual anniversary isn't, of-course, until this Sunday, but celebrating early, especially on a weekend like this, was awesome! We had mentioned that it was our anniversary, and all the staff who took care of us acknowledged us as they came by. AND....we got a yummy box of chocolate covered strawberries to share as well! So sweet!

Sunday morning was spent in session again, with the weekend closing with a renewal of our wedding vows. *sniff, sniff*. It was emotional! And wonderful! And something I will not soon forget!!!! Thank you, my love, for sharing in such an incredible weekend with me! You are amazing!

We headed for home a little after 1pm yesterday, making a stop in Ontario to fill the gas tank (can I just tell you that gas was a mere $1.84!!!! Holy cow!!! Awesome!!!!) , to fill our bellies and to quickly do a little wrap-up Christmas shopping at Toys R Us for the kids! :) We made it back to my parents house just as the kids were waking from their naps! It was so, so, SO good to hold them after being away! We had missed them! Did I tell you that Ellie began walking well over the weekend while we were gone?! How sad it was to me to hear over the phone that she was actively walking!!!! *Sigh* You leave for two days and she walks! What's up with that?!

Anyway....you can't have it all, right?! :) You know what though? I DO have it all! I am blessed beyond comprehension! I have everything I would want and WAY more than I could possibly need! Today, I am utterly grateful!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys had an amazing weekend! What a wonderful anniversary gift to yourselves.

Miss you all!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of exclamations marks - which means HAPPINESS! Nick and I talked about doing that one weekend as well... now we MUST after hearing about how wonderful it was! Talk to you very soon. Maybe tonight after kids are in bed?

Sarah Jean

Anonymous said...

How fantastic Kris...It just warms my heart that you two are so blessed to have one another. Happy Anniversary! xo Jenny