Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy Birthday, Luke!

My baby turns three today. **sniff, sniff** Can in be that he is already a preschooler??? What happened to his infancy...his toddler hood? Three. It doesn't seem so long ago that I trudged to that NICU every day, a cooler full of pumped milk in hand, and spent hours at his bedside just staring at his tiny, 3 pound body as he slept. Then his first smile...first tooth...his first steps....my, my how time passes so quickly!

There are so many things I love about you, Luke. So many moments when I squeeze my eyes shut, just hoping against hope that I will always remember the moments...that look you give me as you hold my face in your hands and kiss my nose, or the way your lips pucker as you try so hard not to smile when you are embarrassed. Or how you tap your toes now when you feel nervous. I want to hold the sound of your voice in my mind always...the way you have learned to tell silly toddler-style knock-knock jokes or when you say something wacky and then follow it up with "I'm juss teasin' ya, Mom!" Even just the way your r's sound more like w's and your g's like d's. How when I tell you how strong or brave or adorable you are, you answer me with "I mam." instead of "I am." I love that. I love how you are so gentle with your sister and how you never just call her Ellie. It's always Baby Ellie or your more endearing Baby Dirl (read girl). You are such a good big brother! Such a sweet spirit. And when you want to be, you can be the feistiest child I've known! :) Diligent and precise and strong willed, but with tenderness to balance it all out too. God's perfect mix of it all. You are my sweet, precious son and I love you with a love so deep and pure that it makes my heart ache just to think of it. Makes me think of how God loves us...and how my love for you cannot even compare to His love for you. You are His first and mine second, and I thank Him now for allowing me to be your mommy. You are one of my life's greatest gifts. I love you, sweet boy. Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was waiting to see if you would post something about his birthday so I could sing.....Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Luke....Happy Birthday to YOU>>>>>xoxox Jenny

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to youu! Happy Birthday to youuu! Happy Birthday dear LUKE!! Happy Birthday to you! :-) I wish you an awesome birthday, cutie!!
Very nice words and slide! Love his trunks, btw!! Hehehe! LOL
Love always,
Taylor

Anonymous said...

***TEARS*** What a time its been these three years. And what a gift its been to have our "Buddy, Luke." See you Saturday! Auntie Sarah and Hudsy

Anonymous said...

Happy BDay big guy! I loved the photo montage...you are so creative! Love to read and know you are all doing well! Wish we could be there Saturday! Ellie is getting so big too...and adorable!
Roni