Tuesday, April 3, 2007

It's all sinking in...

As I said...onto all things pink....like my new color scheme????

Friday was certainly a whirlwind for us! Ty and I both awoke on Saturday morning and 'debriefed' a bit about the news of our baby girl. Lots of different emotions washed over us as the news sunk in. Ty, on one hand, was feeling just a tad bit overwhelmed with the news...maybe even a bit disappointed that she was not a boy. He said that he really had no preference prior to the scan, but afterwards, he did, in fact, feel a little sad. Which is totally understandable! Aside from my nieces, who he sees only on occasion, he's never been around girls. Boys are all he's known and he ADORES Luke. Of-course he would be a bit partial to another son! (Especially if he's as cute as Luke! :) ) He is still very excited about this child...please don't get the wrong impression. Similarly, and much to my own surprise, felt some of those same trepidations on Friday night as I lay in bed looking over the pictures from the day. A bit of fear, nervousness and worry came over me. Will I be a good mom to a little girl??? Will I be able to nurture and love her as only a little girl needs???? Little girls need so much more in the way of sensitivity, empathy and tenderness than little boys. (They both need it, but girls are much more sensitive in the emotional realms.) And I already know how to parent a little boy! We will be treading into uncharted waters here. But, just as soon as the worries and fears came, so too did the realization that I will learn to be the kind of mommy she needs. It won't happen overnight. It will come as time unfolds for us. We will grow together. So...with that piece of comfort tucked into my heart, I slept soundly.

Luke was cute on Saturday morning too. We popped the CD of all the ultrasound pics into the DVD player as breakfast was cooking and looked at them again together. When I asked him who was in those pictures, he non-chalantly said: "Baby sister." "That's right, honey! And where is baby sister right now? We're looking at her in the pictures, but where is she really?" "In mommy's belly." Way to go, Big Guy! He's starting to make more sense of it now. LOVE that! And last night, as he climbed up into the rocker and into my arm before bed, he lifted my shirt as he always does, planted a kiss on my belly and said, " Goodnight, Baby Sister. Yuv you!" Awww! Sweet, sweet child of mine!

I worked in the ED on Saturday night, and had my first experience of what I think were Braxton-Hicks contractions. The feeling didn't come and go as many say they do, but instead was just an obvious tightening on the lower sides of my belly. I never experienced those in my pregnancy with Luke, so I'm not sure if that is what they were or not, but my friend Tami (an OB nurse) said it was quite possible. It seems to be too early for those, but she said they are possible anytime after 16weeks, but more likely after 20. I am 18 and 1/2. So maybe. I've had the sensation a few more times over the last few days, but nothing to cause worry. Its just strange.

Luke and I have spent the last few days playing and doing whatever fun things we can. We FINALLY busted out the finger paints one afternoon that I bought him for his birthday. I was so nervous bringing them out! I envisioned paint all over the floor, him and anything else in the way (thus the reason it took me FOUR months to do it!) but I took all the necessary precautions (a plastic sheet on the floor, a smock on Luke, and a plastic sheet on the lap tray he was using!) He did AWESOME and just loved it! We proudly hung his artwork on the fridge and he smiles when he walks by and see it. Here are a few pics from that afternoon.
Just getting started...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Being silly...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And my favorite....
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The weather has warmed considerably 'round here too, so over the weekend, we finally broke out the cool sand and water table that he received from Grandma and Grandpa for his birthday. We set it up in the backyard (despite having NO landscaping yet!) and he has played for hours on end there each afternoon. He loves to dig and pour, dig and pour! I'm trying to teach him to keep the sand in the sand side and the water in the water side, but still to no avail. But what the heck! He's having a blast and that's all that really matters. Here are some shots of that as well.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yesterday we headed to Target and Costco for some much needed grocies and just HAD to browse the baby girl clothes. :) I purchased our first items for our little sweetie....just some cute pink and white polka-dotted onsies and capries, a little onsie that reads "Worth the Wait" and another little pink outfit that says "Daddy's Little Lovebug". Sooooo cute! I'd show you a picture, but Ty took my camera to work today so I'm camera-less. :( I think I can get used to all this pink stuff! :) It's really fun!

Many of you have asked about her name....and most of you know that all along, our favorite little girls name has been Ellie Paige. Well...let me correct myself...MY favorite little girls name has been Ellie Paige. And while Ty likes that one too, he would also like to look as some other options and see if there is something we like better. Okay by me. I've never even opened a baby names book or searched online for names...the ones we've always picked out have just 'come' to us, so it is only logical that we take others into consideration. I'm kinda looking forward to it, actually. So....that just means that you all may or may not be privledged to know her name ahead of time. We'll see. :) We might just want to keep something a secret! :)

Well....I guess that's about it for today! It's onto some photoshopping before my little man awakes! Thanks for all your well-wishes and congratulations! :) We love hearing from you and are just as excited! :) Adios, friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie Paige...I love it. My little 19 year old "little sis" just had twin girls. Kylie Nicole and Taylor Bliss. I love little girl clothes. I think you will be a great mommy to a girl. Very random message ....sorry xoxo Jenny

Anonymous said...

I completely understand Ty's feelings. I really wanted a girl with my pregnancy, and when we found out it was a boy, I was sad too. But, once I started getting used to the idea, I couldn't picture it any other way. You guys will do great as parents to a little boy and a little girl - all they really need is love - and you've got an abundance.

Kelli