Thursday, April 5, 2007

Negative results!

In this case, negative results are good! I spoke with Dr. Hage yesterday and he happily informed me that our AFP (alpha fetal protein) test came back negative. That is wonderful news! The AFP test screens for risk factors associated with certain birth defects. A positive or high result could indicate that the baby may have Down Syndrome, trisomy 31 or another birth defect, (I say could because there is always a possibility of a false positive result), whereas a negative result means that the my risk for those birth defects is low enough not to warrant follow-up testing. Yippee!! :) Good news!

To have the AFP test done is a personal choice of each couple usually. Some opt not to do it, because they may feel that even a positive result would not change the outcome of their pregnancy (meaning they would not terminate if the baby had Down's, for instance), (which we would not do either, of-course!), where others want to have it done for just that precise reason. Stilll others, like ourselves, chose to do the test for the purpose of just being prepared in the event that something was wrong with our baby. It wouldn't change whether or not we would continue with the pregnancy...that is NEVER an option for us, but it would allow us a few months to prepare emotionally and practically for a child with special needs. Thankfully for us, the test was negative. So far so good! We are, at this point, on the way to meeting a healthy ,birth-defect free child! :)

Speaking of healthy....as I am now approaching my 20th week of pregnancy (I will hit that mile-marker next Friday) is it rude for me to ask you again to continue pray that pre-eclampsia stays at bay and allows me to remain healthy??? I know many of you have told me you already are, but I just needed to ask again. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, pre-e does not typically onset until after week 20 and now that I'm approaching that time, I must admit my heart is starting to feel a bit more on edge. Don't get me wrong...I'm still staying positive and I'm certainly NOT freaking out, but now that I'm near that 20 week mark, the thoughts of pre-e are never far from my mind. I guess I'm being vigilant. If you all could just begin praying regularly for health, no pre-e and a TERM pregnancy (and did I mention peace of mind??) we would be extremely grateful! Knowing that you are praying allows us to rest peacefully on your prayers. If you would do that for us, it would be the greatest of gifts.

Okay....onto the day to day.....

Yesterday, Luke and I drove down to Ontario to meet Ty for lunch and make a quick stop at the New Balance Outlet store down there for some new shoes for the whole fam. Luke fell asleep in the car on the way there (at 11am!), which is quite unusual for him and BOY! was he a grump when we were shoe shopping. Ty hadn't arrived yet, and I was trying to fit him with a couple of different styles, and he just threw a FIT! Of-course, it was silent in the store...a quiet Wednesday for them, and Luke's screams echoed through the building. Nice. I was just a little embarrassed! He 'got into trouble' two other times while we were there...and I even had to give his little hand a smack. :( We usually do time-outs, but that was just not feasible at the particular moment. His behavior was really not like him! The rest of the day proved to not be much different. We didn't get home until 2:45 and since it was so late, I was SURE he'd nap well. (He normally naps at 1pm.) But I was wrong there too. He was perfectly willing to get into bed and lay down...no fighting with him there....but he just would NOT go to sleep. He played, sang, jumped on his pillow, and banged his legs against the bed rails for over an hour...despite me going up there a handful of times to talk to him. After the hour mark, I finally gave in and got him out of bed, but not before he lost the privilege to watch his favorite DVD and earned himself an early bedtime. Grrr. I was frustrated! It is a VERY rare occurrence for him to miss a nap. And when he does, the rest of the day is not so much fun. Especially when it's a Wednesday and I know that Ty won't be home until after 9pm....no backup! :( We survived though and he was soundly in bed by 7:15. When I checked on him before I went to bed, he hadn't even moved a muscle since I put him down! Tired boy!

This morning, Mamaw is off work for spring break, so I get to drop Lukey off at her house for a few hours of Mommy-free-time! :) Yippee! I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do with myself. I thought that I would maybe do a little maternity shopping, but there isn't really a need right now. Then I thought that I would come home and clean a bit in a QUIET house, but we cleaned all the bathrooms and the kitchen yesterday. Hmmm. So I think I'll shop for a birthday present for Ty's boss, then hit the grocery store for a few items I need for Easter dinner and then come home to bake the bread I'm supposed to bring on Sunday. I don't know. Doesn't sound all that exciting, does it? At-least it's some time to myself. Ty won't be home until after Luke's in bed again tonight, since it's his bible study night, so the little break this morning will sustain me for another solo dinner and bedtime routine.

Well....it's time to 'shake a tower' (remember, that's my term for take a shower) :) so I should get going. No pictures again today...sorry! It's too early for those yet and I wasn't able to take any yesterday. Maybe I'll post some tomorrow, after our ultrasound. Two in one week! How lucky are we! This one is our 20 week fetal anatomy ultrasound to check all her parts! :) I'm looking forward to seeing her again! :) But....if I don't get to post again before Easter, Happy Easter to you all! Hope you each are privileged to spend time with the ones you love the most! We are! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're keeping you in our prayers for a safe and healthy term pregnancy. (I have a gut feeling that this one will be different from Luke's.) Great news on the AFP test coming back negative...that can sometimes be a little nerve racking waiting for the results.

Happy Easter to you as well!

Kelli

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying for you all! :)

Jamie Corbett

Diana McFarlane said...

Oh, it was so nice to catch up on your ultrasound appointment! I felt like I was there & felt all the excitement and anticipation as I read it (even though I already knew the outcome) ;) You are such a great writer, Kris.

I will pray for you & your little baby girl. I know in the next several weeks we'll have a better idea about how your blood pressure is doing, and I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Love,
Diana

Heidi Crocker said...

I am so happy that your AFP results came back negative. Justin and I are both praying for a safe and healthy term pregnancy for you. I am sure that everything will be perfectly fine. It seems the little boys are the ones that cause all of the DRAMA! I know mine sure did!
We love you and Happy Easter....
Heidi

Roni said...

I'm keeping you and that baby girl in my prayers, Kris.