Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day!

Today was Luke's first day of preschool!

We began the celebrations last night with a special dessert made just for Luke (lemon bars! mmm!), served on our favorite red 'You are special today' plate. (And of-course we wrote the occasion on the back, along with the date, so we would remember!). Luke was feeling so proud about eating on the Red Plate and feeling very...well...SPECIAL!


As we ate, we talked about the day ahead and all the fun things he would get to do at school! He was all smiles! He gobbled up his treat and headed off to play for a little bit, while Ty and I lingered at the kitchen table, watching our son and talking about how it feels like such a short time ago, we were carrying him into the house for the first time...our little 4 pound 12 ounce miracle baby, and here he is....starting preschool. Time indeed goes much faster than we realize!!

After our treats, we decided that a height measurement was in order, so we all marched into the laundry room...


At just a mere 38.5 inches, he certainly won't be the tallest kid in the class, but that is just fine with us! :) Then it was off to bed, for a busy day lay ahead of us!

This morning, Luke awoke with brightness and excitement in his eyes! He struggled a tiny bit before getting dressed with a little stinky attitude, but we chalked it up to nervousness. Once we talked through what the day would be like, he seemed to relax a lot more. I did the typical mommy-thing and tried to take a few photos of him before we left. He was in a silly mood!




And by the time we were ready to head out the door, he was so excited that we couldn't seem to get him there fast enough! The whole car ride down to school he talked about how he was going to see new friends and play in the sandbox!

Ty was able to be with us this morning at school, so Luke rode in Daddy's arms all the way to the classroom. He seemed a little nervous again as I signed him in, but as soon as he saw that good 'ol sandbox and the other kids playing there, he was off to play, without a care!


All of us parents looked on and chatted together as the kids played for a few minutes before officially starting the day. When one of the teachers rang the little hand bell to signal the start of class, Luke came to my side and seemed a little tense again...you can see it in his eyes!


He clung to me then, and as we neared the door to his class, he pushed back towards the outside and didn't want to go in. I swooped him up in my arms then and we walked in together. He was near tears. :( But no sooner did he see the kids in the far corner of the room playing with moon sand in a big tray, did he scurry out of my arms and off to play again! Music quiet played through the room, and it was all very quiet and calm! All the children who were there seemed to be crowded around this tiny little sand table, and all of us parents were lined, cameras in hand, on the opposite wall, watching and smiling! :) It was pretty neat to see the kids all so suddenly at ease! And out of the semi-silence Luke calls "Hi Mom! Come 'ere.....look!"
I wandered over and watched for a minute, caught up in this little moment and feeling a little lump in my throat as I watched my sweet firstborn now suddenly a big boy!
He was happy and content as Ty and I decided to head out. We both kissed him goodbye, told him we loved him and I reassured him that I would be back in a few hours. "Okay, Mom. Bye! Love you!" And that was it. He was as happy as a clam! No tears, no worries. Just content and calm. Beautiful. It was beautiful!

I snapped a quick picture of part of the playground as I left, just so you could see. There is a separate area just to the left side of the picture where they have tricycles and cars, along with a painted road to ride on, equipped with traffic signs and everything! There is also another climbing gym over there too. Such a fun, big outdoor area!
I went home after dropping him off, as I will some mornings. Other days, I plan to do my errands and save a bit on the gas! But I have to say that I was in 7th heaven when I returned home, placed my sleeping baby in her crib for a nap and ventured downstairs to a QUIET home. At 10am!!! What a NICE luxury for me! I definitely can get used to this!!! I was able to check off a few things on my to-do list while Ellie slept, and before I knew it, it was 11:30 and time to head back out to get my munchkin!

When I arrived at school, I found Luke engrossed in his favorite activity.....digging in the sandbox! He didn't see me right away, so I just lingered near the wall to watch him. Ms. Aly (who turns out to be the daughter of Ty's mom's good friend from work!) pointed me out to Luke, the biggest smile spread across his face and he called out "Mommmmmmmeeeeeeee!" as he ran, open armed, my way! He nearly knocked me over with his hug, which, I of-course LOVED! He was so, so, happy you guys! Full of energy and joy! His eyes were bright and his face red from the heat! I could hardly make out his words as he spoke so quickly to tell me all he had done in the few short hours he was there! He invited me over then, to share in his delicious birthday cake (that he made just for me!) made of sand and topped with a straw-candle! Sweet boy! I let him play a few more minutes, before I signed him out and were headed to the car. He literally bounced the whole way to the car...giddy and happy at his adventures of the day! "We went on a bear hunt today, Mom! It was so much fun!!!". And so began all the wonderful re-tellings of the morning's fun! He can't wait to go back!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm glad it turned out to be such an exciting day for him. And you getting some peace and quiet for a while, should help too. :)

Anonymous said...

The first day of school is nerve racking no matter what age you are. He looks so cute. Your little boy is growing up. He's just so handsome. I'm so excited for you Kris. Soon enough little Ellie with have her 1st day school pics too. Scary but exciting. Take care. XO Jenny

Anonymous said...

BTW...aren't some birthday wishes in order? Jenny

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I am so glad it was a fun event for him. And he even still was excited to see you :-)

Great pics!