Monday, August 4, 2008

Back briefly....

Hi friends...

I am back, but only briefly to let you know a little of what has been going on for us this past week. There are a couple of things that I think are prayer-worthy that I wanted to share with you, if you wouldn't mind lifting them up to God on our behalf.

In a quick nutshell, for some time now, Luke has been intermittently complaining of his bottom (rectum) hurting or being sore. When we look, the outside has just looked red and diaper-rash'ish around that area, so we have been 'treating' it by keeping it clean and coated in cream. But in the couple of days before we left for the lake and then several times since then, he has had episodes of rectal bleeding when he stools. :( The worst I had seen it was on this past Wednesday morning, just prior to a scheduled visit to our pediatrician, when the toilet was completely red. :( It has not been quite that bad since that day, but there is still some mild bleeding going on somewhere. Our pediatrician ran a few tests (stool samples) to check for parasites and such, and referred us back to the gastroenterologist (Dr. Shah) that Luke saw for his reflux as an infant. That appointment was this morning. Dr. Shah examined Luke, asked many questions and was very thorough in determining what he thinks is going on with him. There appear to be two separate things going on with Luke's poor little bottom. :( First, the outer redness and soreness and second, the bleeding. He does not think that they are related. Dr. Shah thinks that the redness, oozy (sorry if that is TMI) and sore outer bottom is/was possibly caused by a simple strep infection around the rectum, since it has gotten better recently. It did, however, cause a fissure internally, which is tender for Luke. A blood test this afternoon will confirm this.

Secondly is the bleeding. Because the bleeding is also intermittent and there have been episodes of more than just a smear on the tp after stooling (ie, that day the toilet was full!), Dr. Shah wants to rule out a polyp via a colonoscopy. :( I will tell you that that part I am not thrilled with. I asked many questions and made sure I accurately understood why the test needed to be run and what exactly he believes is the culprit, and at this point, all indicators lead to a polyp as the most likely cause. He did not believe that it was Crohn's, or colitis or another syndrome that I can't remember the name of (some type of diverticulitis, I think????) and because the quantity of blood was more than just a drop or two, he did not believe the fissure was the cause. That would have only bleed a small amount, I believe.

So....we are waiting to hear back from the doctor's office regarding insurance approval (I think we will have to pay out of pocket though) and to set a date for the colonoscopy. It will most likely be the 18th, I think, but I will let you know.

While I am not super worried about all of this (I think Ty is more concerned than I am) I am appropriately concerned and glad to be working towards finding out what is going on. But Luke is at a funny stage now developmentally where he is expressing ALOT of fear with even going to the doctor's office lately. This is very new for him, as he has always been so easy going with doctors. Even my best Child Life preparation for the simplest things like a routine ears, nose, heart/lung exam is not working to calm him. Strange. He literally tried to run out the door of the waiting room this morning when they called his name and immediately burst into sobbing, trembling tears. This is very unlike him! I will be taking him for a blood draw this afternoon, and because he has been so anxious, I am more than a little concerned as to how he will do. I am going to do a little teaching before we leave, but seeing how it hasn't helped much for even the general stuff, I am not holding out much hope for a smooth poke today. :( And the colonoscopy....well....that will be a whole different ballgame with needing an IV, sedation and all. So if you would, please just say a little prayer both for the cause of this bleeding to be accurately determined and also for his little anxious heart to be receptive to and trusting of Mommy's teachings and support. :( Poor little guy. I am so thankful I can prepare him though! That is a blessing!

I am off for now to get a few things done before naptime is over and we head off to the lab! Before I go though, I wanted to tell you that I was able to see Sarah yesterday to help her gather her things for Haven's arrival on the 13th, and she seemed to be doing very well! Her demeanor was calm and peaceful despite it all, which spoke volumes to me about how all those prayers are working! Angel is doing much better after his partial closure last week. He was in a significant amount of pain, but it is slowly improving. He will go back in for another surgery on Wednesday to close the remaining portion, so please be in prayer for this, as well as his pain to be minimal afterwards.

More to come. Love to each of you.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will keep poor Lukey in my prayers! :( Love to all of you!
Taylor

Anonymous said...

As a father, its funny the things you take for granted. Health is definitely one that I believe we all take for granted. The thought of something potentially serious happening to your child is very worrisome to me. So that is what I will do until I am told differently (worry). The thought, though, of my son being ill is very difficult for me, mainly because of what I've been through in my life with other family members.

I hate to think of the worst, but that is what I do for some reason. I catch myself thinking that way and then reassure myself, pray that God can calm my worries and try not to think of "worst case scenarios" again. Its times like these that you truly enjoy and cherish your children.

Anonymous said...

Praying for sweet Lukey's bum and that when tests need to be done, that there is a sense of peace that washes over him and the both of you as parents! So glad you have the knowledge you do Kris to help prepare Lukey for experiences like these! Love you so, Laura

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...I'm sorry he has to go through this at such a young age. My eyes just tear up thinking about it. I am praying all is well. XOXO Jenny

Kelli said...

I hope his blood draw went ok and that you all are doing well with this too. It's never easy when the only option of "cure" is a medical procedure involving sedation. I'll keep praying that it will be an "easy fix" for Luke and strength for you all when it comes to his procedure.