Monday, September 29, 2008

Thankful for our cold....

Did I get your attention? Yes....you read that right. I am thankful today for the cold that we have. Not because we all feel a bit under the weather (who would be thankful that?), but because it has provided us the excuse needed today to stay home, take it easy and just play. As I type, I am sitting on a blanket on the patio in the backyard....a sultry breeze is rustling the leaves on the birch trees and my beautiful children are engrossed in play beside me. It was at the moment that I decided to blog that I recognized today is just a simple illustration of God bringing forth good out of something not so pleasant. He always promises to do that, you know. And today...this moment....is no different. It is BECAUSE we feel icky that we chose to take it slow and enjoy each other today. And we have been blessed by it! We have even been just a tad bit productive too! :)

This morning, before the real ickies set it, Luke and I washed my car and fertilized the flower beds out front. When Ellie woke from her nap, I took a long while to teach her to descend the stairs (I'll try to post some of the pictures I took too), we ate a leisurely lunch together, and while the kids napped (not very long, I might add.) :( I worked on sorting through pictures from a shoot I had yesterday. And now, here we are, blowing bubbles and eating graham crackers in the afternoon shade! :) We have played a few minutes of baseball in the front yard and I learned from my son that Daddy is a MUCH better pitcher than I am (I got a chuckle out of him telling me that because it is SOOOOO true!), Ellie has learned that grass doesn't taste all that great (!) and is, at this moment, smiling at me from across the yard as she inspects a row of bright orange flowers.
Perfection. Life is measured in moments like these!


Peeking through the banister at brother....

So proud of herself for making it halway down!
Do I dare go the rest of the way???
Outside blowing (eating!) bubbles...

Lookin' for shapes in the clouds...
Just being silly...

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Hope your colds have taken a hike and that you are all feeling well!