Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Two years ago today...

It was two years ago tonight that Luke finally came home from the hospital! The date had almost gone by unnoticed until my online friend Kristin posted about bringing her own preemie son home two years today as well! I'm reminded tonight how time heals. There would have been NO way that this date would have gone unnoticed last year! It was still so fresh and the whole NICU/preemie experience felt so raw. Those 31 days among the nurses, alarming monitors, and isolettes were treacherous to say the least. Oh how we counted every single gram gained or lost...every cc of nourishment taken in and savored every moment that we got to be near our precious boy! It was blessings and miracles mixed with tears and hurt. But time truly does heal! And healing is a wonderful thing.

Here is our little monkey on his way to meet the big, wide world! It was about this time...7:30pm or so by the time we were discharged, and in contrast to today, it was a cold, dreary, drizzly kind of day. But what a glorious day it was!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

He was all of 4 lbs 12 oz on that day. Just a little peanut! But you wouldn't know it by looking at him now! TWENTY-THREE pounds and 16 inches later....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks be to God for His many, many blessings!

Speaking of healing....I'm thinking that Luke could use a bit more of that today! He still is really fighting this stinkin' ear infection! He woke up today pretty content. Happy to play and eat breakfast. This morning was my co-op morning with my friend Tami, so it was my morning to hit the gym! She and I have worked out this nifty little cooperative schedule thingy where every Wednesday morning one of us gets two hours to herself and the other watches the kids. One week is my week, the next is hers. It works out nicely for us both, and allows us just a bit of time to ourselves. But this morning, Luke was unusually clingy and tearful as I left, and apparently wasn't much interested in playing with Owen or anything for that matter while I was gone. Once I returned home, I was met with a pink cheeked, red-eyed toddler, who clung to my leg like plastic wrap. From that moment until nap time, it only got worse. Much, much worse. Tami headed home and I attempted to give Luke some lunch, of which he had NO interest. Halfway through the uneaten meal, he began weeping, then crying, then sobbing! I scooped him up out of his chair and hurried him upstairs for a much needed diaper change, hoping that a change of scenery and a little distraction would lessen the tears. Unfortunately, it only made them worse. As I laid him down, he began WAILING and screaming like never before and tugging at his ear in hysterics! His wailing stirred a bit of panic in the gut, but I scooped him up again, made a b-line for the Motrin and the pain-numbing ear drops and headed downstairs for the couch. It took no less than 10 minutes to get the hysterical, gulping sobs under control once the ear drops were in place. My poor, poor child! I felt horrible for him! I'm not sure if it was the combination of being tired, having a fever (it was 101.7) and the ear pain was what caused the hysterics or if it was simply just an excruciating pain in his ear, but either way it was miserable! He soon fell asleep on my lap and I carried up to bed for the duration of his 2 1/2 hour nap. He awoke seeming much better, but the fever lingered on and at dinnertime tonight, the saga sorta began again. This time though, the idea of a shower with Mama and his snuggy was enough to thwart the tears. Phew! The fever has worsened though to 102.2. :( We are on the 4th dose of the new antibiotics, so I'm not sure what is going on, but if the fever and pain continue through the night and into the morning, you can bet I'll be back at the pediatrician's office again tomorrow....or at-least I will be calling to talk to her. Have I ever told you how much I HATE when he's sick!!!!!!

In the last news of the day, I have FINISHED painting the hallway!!!! WHOOHOO! Aren't you just so excited for me??! I know it may not be quite as thrilling to you as it is for me, but having that task completed means I get to take a short hiatus from painting. The stinkin' hallway took me SEVEN hours of sheer painting time. 5 straight hours yesterday afternoon and 2 today! How the heck that hallway took me that long bewilders me, but it did. And after all the painting I've done over the years, I'd like to think I'm pretty efficient too. Phew! 7 hours and 2 gallons of paint later, it is done. Hooray for me! As my mom would say, I get two gold stars for the day! :) I'm secretly hoping that Ty will surprise me with a nicely painted family room when I return from my weekend up north! Wouldn't that be nice??!! One can hope!

Well.....seeing that I've been at this post for quite some time, I think I'll head over to the couch for a little American Idol. :) One of my guilty pleasures! :) Night all!

2 comments:

Jamie Corbett said...

Happy 2 year graduation anniversary! That's a mouthful isn't it? Time really does heal, I was obsessed with dates and things last year and I find myself looking at the calendar and saying, "oh yeah, ....happened 2 years ago yesterday". It is nice to move on. Man, I really hope Luke feels better soon, that's sounds miserable. My kids are getting better, Hailey is playing again and finally eating. You are doing great at the painting, we still have so much to paint in my house and we've been in for 2.5 years!

Kristin said...

I was getting used to more regular posts from you...with you PG and Luke so sick I need an update :)

Hope things are okay! Check in when you can!