Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

I wasn't sure what to blog about today. There isn't much excitement in store for us, as there has been strep throat lingering around our house for several days. (Let me tell you how fun that has been!!) And due to the strep, our plans to celebrate the 4th with our friends, including Sarah, Nick and the boys have been foiled. There just is NO way that we can be around sweet Angel and expose him to anything. I'm so sad! I was so looking forward to today and having all of our kids together...baby Maddie, Ellie, Luke, Hudson and Angel. :( I will hope for another opportunity to see them soon.
I was trying to think back to years past and recall what we've done on the 4th of July, and surprisingly, I had a hard time recalling specifics. (Remember that memory of mine? It's failing me right now). We typically do the same things every year (sometimes to my husband's dismay!), but I'm a traditionalist and LOVE the Redlands fireworks! So, more often than not, we are with the same wonderful friends, celebrating together. (Except this year, of-course!:( ) I poured through my old pictures from as far back in our digital camera history to see what we had done each year. Here's my little review.
2004

I discovered I was pregnant with Luke on this day four years ago! I woke up early, and in half denial, took my newly bought pregnancy test to the guest bathroom while Ty was still sleeping and literally screamed when two lines appeared! Hahaha...that's a good memory for me. We spent the day giggling with one another and giddy with new-baby love! I remember going to the fireworks show with Laura and Dave (Sarah and Nick arrived later with Angel...Sarah, you were 3 months along with Hudsy then) and I distinctly recall whispering secretively to Ty about our news and giggling in delight together. But we didn't want to tell anyone until we shared with our parents first. That was a HARD secret to keep that day from my closest friends! This was our first 'baby' though...


2005

Luke had just turned 6 months old and we were again with Sarah (you can see baby Hudson behind us) at Laura and Dave's house to watch the fireworks from their front lawn. This was pre-baby for many of our friends. Krystal and Will were there too. Good memories. We lit sparklers at sun down (Laura, I have a great picture of your backside with a sparkler in your hand, but I figured you'd kill me for posting it!) LOL!!!! Lukey was so little then! I remember he was barely in 3 months sized clothes that day! My little preemie! We had just purchased our new car the day before too. We went to show it to Meemaw before the fireworks. Luke wanted to drive.


2006


(Photo taken by Sarah)
This was our first year going IN to the stadium with Luke (outside my belly!) and his first closeup experience with fireworks. He had SUCH a blast this year and did great with the fireworks, despite how loud they were! My parents were with us this year too....here is Luke modeling Grandma's sunglasses...



Luke and his favorite Hudsy...

Sweet Angel...

Ready for the fireworks to start...

2007
Very pregnant with Ellie. :)

We went into the stadium again last year and my sister, the girls and my parents joined us. The usual gang were all busy with other things this year. Laura and Dave were on vacation, Sarah and Nick with family and Krystal, Will and the twins were out of town. So...it was a family day! We had a great time! Luke LOVES his cousins!!!



Watching the sky divers....

2008

And now you're all caught up! :) We will undoubtedly have a much more mellow 4th this year. Hanging 'round home mostly. But, it's a day to celebrate nonetheless. We are so fortunate to be FREE! Happy Independence Day, my friends! May you count your blessings today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kris, such fond memories of being all together on the 4th. I just love how you keep all your pictures organized to refer back to. You and your family will be greatly missed today! I wish that darn strep hadn't popped up! Love you friend, Laura

Anonymous said...

Well to make you feel better...Lake Tahoe in famous for there over the lake fireworks and partying like there is no tomorrow down on the "beach". Not this year for Rich and I. We found ourselves eating drumsticks and watching the NY fireworks on tv in our jammies. We looked at one another and laughed to tears thinking...Holy cow we are a couple of old farts. We must have had 10 phone calls from our friends trying to meet up with us down at the maddness and unbenounced to them we were asleep by the time LT's fireworks even started. Times are a changing. I hope everyone is feeling better soon and Happy belated 4th.