Monday, October 5, 2009

Off and running!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I think that is an ancient Chinese proverb, right? My journey officially begins today, though mine isn't 1000 miles...it's 13.1 (15 actually, if you're counting how far my training takes me!). A half marathon. 18 weeks of training and the start of a journey towards many things. Not only will this be a journey of running 13.1 miles, but it is also one of faith and of proving a few things to myself.

For someone who less than a year ago didn't believe she was capable of running THREE consecutive miles, the thought of running 13 admittedly seems daunting! The next 18 weeks will certainly put my determination, my body, my resolve and my self-confidence to the test! I must admit that at the bottom of this mountain, I am feeling nervous, overwhelmed and unsure. :( I guess that is where the faith part of all this comes in, right? In some part of me, I know that if I work hard enough, I will be able to do this. After all, its not that big of a hurdle.....gosh a lot of people run much farther, much more regularly than me! If they can do marathons, I can do a half! Right?! But I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't nervous 'bout it! So...off I go...taking my first step today! My first 6 of 388 (ish! Lol) miles of training! Yikes! Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Laura said...

You'll do great Kris! I have no doubt! You are an incredible athlete! You go get 'em! I'll be rooting for ya!

Anonymous said...

YAY Kris! You can do it. You can achieve anything you put your mind too. We will all be rooting for you!
Love
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Know that we are ALREADY proud of you. But we will be here cheering you on however far your journey takes you!

-sj

Diana McFarlane said...

How did it go? i know you can do it. Training this way will make you feel like a million bucks. You are doing the right thing by giving yourself enough time to train. I believe in you!
-Diana