Friday, September 25, 2009

Potty training and pigtails

Ellie seems to be growing up by the hour lately! Even friends who see her on a weekly basis have commented recently on how 'grown up' she seems to becoming. They say her face is changing or she's getting so much taller, or marvel how her hair has grown. Its a little funny because being with her every day makes you unaware of the physical changes. But I have noticed lots of changes in her development otherwise. She talks pretty clearly now and almost non-stop. She is so aware of her surroundings and will question me about everything she sees. "Mama.....'sat? 'Sat, mama?" (what's that?) As soon as I answer, she is pacified and will respond a simple. "Oh." Cute. She is becoming more and more mild-mannered (as in, she doesn't throw quite as many fits lately). Even on our errand-running excursions during Luke's preschool hours, she is often found walking happily hand-in-hand with me through the stores, listening well when asked not to touch something or to come closer. (Not being in the cart is quite a big deal for me, since most of you know I like containment (aka control) and a free toddler is quite the opposite of that! But she does great!) She oftentimes catches the attention of the other patrons or store clerks with her 'lil pigtails and she basks in their lavish attention on her! :) She is a happy, sweet litle girl. Oh how I love her!

She also began to show a keen interest in the potty this past week. She has sat on the potty just about every day since she was 19 months old, but only because she sees all of us do it and never once did anything 'happen' while she sat. She just hadn't made the connection about what needed to happen. But one afternoon last week, she 'accidentally' pee'd just a little while sitting on the potty after her nap, and that was all that was needed! She connected the sensation with the action and we've been on the road to potty training ever since! Each day has progressively improved and on Saturday, we were at Meemaw's house when she told me she needed to do the 'big business' before she went. And voila! She has been pretty much poop-trained ever since!

Needless to say, I am simply following her lead. I wasn't exactly planning on potty training her until closer to Christmas (Luke was 2 1/2 when we began) but she is obviously ready now! I'm excited.....especially about the prospect of no more diapers in the near future! :) But I also must admit that I am a teeny-tiny bit sad too. Its just one more step farther away from her babyhood and a confirmation of that era of my life coming to a close. But such is life, and I will embrace and cherish every step of the way!

So that's what is new 'round our place this week! We're just happily pluggin' along and looking for a little R & R this weekend as Ty and I get to steal away to Big Bear for the night on Saturday for the annual Oktoberfest up there! We were blessed by a gracious friend who is allowing up to use their cabin for the night. Should be fun!

Hope you all have a great weekend as well! :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is awesome that Ellie is doing so well! YAY to no more diapers. I miss seeing her grow up - hopefully we will get to see you all soon.