Friday, October 23, 2009

Afraid of the dark

I discovered this week that my kiddos and I have something very fundamental in common...we are all just a bit afraid of the dark! Yup...that's right. A trait of mine that has not faded as the years have worn on. Since childhood, the dark has always frightened me. I imagine looming figures, hiding bad guys and all sorts of other evil where there is no light!

I didn't realize just how nervous it makes me until I have been forced to run in the pre-dawn hours these last several weeks. With the time change looming still a few weeks ahead of us, even at 6am it is still pretty darn dark out there! It doesn't help that our little community up here has a lighting ordinance that only allows one street light per street, and oftentimes they are not working properly! Ugh!

So I have had to make the choice to either forego the running, or suck it up. Of-course the former is really not an option, so off I go! (Though I must admit to dragging my feet before each run in hopes that the sun might just miraculously rise! Lol) Tess has become my early morning running companion now. The consensus is (and I have sought several other opinions on the matter) that someone would be outta their mind to mess with a girl who has a full-grown German shepherd leashed around her waist! I hope that's true. Tess has great hearing too...she hears EVERYTHING! She is a good running partner, for sure! AND...just to comfort you (and myself) all a little further, I have started carrying one of Ty's decent-sized pocket knives clipped to my waistband...just in case. ;) Just call me a ninja! Lol! He suggested it was a better option than the pepper spray I had considered. When he was in the sheriff's department, he said it took a solid 30 seconds or so for it to affect him when they all had to be sprayed. All that to say that I HOPE nothing awful ever happens and if something does, I have a bit of protection. Oh! And of-course, I say a little prayer before each 'adventure' as I like to call them! God is a good running partner too! ;)

But still...I get scared. Lol! I'm such a girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knife + German Shepherd = bad news for bad guy! You are doing great babe...now, I think I better start training since I can only run 8 miles right now and need to do 13 by Jan! AAGH!

Ty

Anonymous said...

.38 Ruger + German Shepherd = worse news for bad guy. I would actually suggest carrying an airhorn rather than a knife...you really need to know how to use a knife as it's really not that threatening...bad guys know most people don't know how to and won't actually stab them...atleast with an airhorn you'll wake some people up for help...just my thoughts (you know me...I'd go with the .38 myself)

Kim