Monday, February 9, 2009

The Journey

Blog updates have been few and far between in recent weeks. And the predominant reason? Life. I have been trying to bask in it. Live it. Learn from it. Enjoy it. I have found that lately, a break from the routine has been necessary, which also unfortunately means a break from the blog as well. Sometimes, as I have noticed, I get 'stuck' along this journey that is my life. I find, at times, that I have stagnated...the routine becomes...well....routine, and quite honestly, my life feels more like the movie "Groundhogs Day" than the adventure I had hoped for. And it is in these seasons that I find that my patience, energy and gratitude for all that I have somehow running dangerously low. I loose sight what is truly important, and it is a slippery slope for me to be on! I have also notice, ironically, that it is in the times that I tend to do one of two things to remedy the melancholy boredom that looms on the horizon. I either turn to mindless fillers (in my case, the computer, Facebook, the television) to distract me from the rut I am in (which typically only drives me farther into that rut!) or I turn to the very things that seem mundane and ask God for a renewed spirit and fresh eyes.

In all honesty, it took me a chunk of time recently to get to the asking God part of this story. LOL! It is so like me, in my independent, 'i'll figure it out on my own' heart to take matters into my own hands and try to make things more interesting in my own power. Foolishness, I know, but I'm being honest here! Facebook and surfing the internet became crazily addictive (!!!), and keeping up with emails and phone conversations seemed to take precedence over the things I really should have been doing. And it wasn't until I saw my precious family affected by my lack of enthusiasm and decreased interaction with them, that I realized my way of breaking the boredom was not very good. In essence, the road I was on was full of potholes and ruts and before I knew it, I found myself with flat tires!

Interestingly enough, as He always is, God was standing patiently on the side of the road, just waiting for me to pull over, take my hands off the steering wheel and ask for help. He had placed several signs along the way telling me He was there to help, but I had my head so buried in other things, I had missed them. But those potholes and ruts and worn out tires eventually got my attention enough to "Let go and let God." And you know what? His way is SO much better!

It has been a few weeks on this journey...probably longer if I really thought hard about it, but I am grateful to sit here this afternoon and type to you with a renewed spirit and fresh eyes! What used to feel like the same, tired, replayed day to day routine has once again recaptured its life and vibrance! Our days are less about going through the motions (even though little has changed in our daily routine) and more about living, sharing and enjoying the ride! And with a new women's bible study, a road trip and a visit wonderful visit from my sister in the past week, the ride was even MORE adventurous!

I will need to shift gears here a little bit and share a little bit about how great our last week or so has been! I was incredibly busy all last week with my sister here and all, so I haven't even had the chance to tell you all that our trip to northern California was AWESOME! I really think that I had expected the worst and hoped for the best when it came to how the kids would do. But much, MUCH to my surprise and relief, they were angels the entire weekend! The drive up was a snap...despite the short hour nap that each of them took! Luke engrossed himself in a video (or two!) along the way and Ellie entertained herself with books and toys most of the trip! Our hotel was great too, with plenty of space for all of us and the sleeping part of it was a breeze! Oh how shocked I was that first night when both kids fell right to sleep and stayed that way ALL night! Amazing! And our visit with Fred and Suzanne was a sweet time of relaxed hanging out. Luke fell in LOVE with Suzanne and bonded with her so well! He also fell in love with their back yard, with its quaint,little playhouse and secret door in the back fence that led directly to the playground of the elementary school that neighbors their house! It was all so magical to him! Such fun!

We made it home around 2 am last Monday morning and spent the rest of the week hanging out with my sister Kim as much as possible. She hadn't been able to come out our way for a visit since Ellie was an itty-bitty, so this visit was long awaited and wonderful! The best we've ever had with her, I'd say! Luke ADORES Aunt Kim and she captured his heart from the very first moments of being here! He was so excited to show her around his little world...from the toys in his playroom to his classroom at school, he was eager to share his life with her! Ellie enjoyed Kim a lot too, but not quite as much I don't think, as Luke did! He was so sad to see her leave....he even cried as she said goodbye to him. :( It was so sad! BUT...we are so, so grateful to have had such a great time with her here! We loved every minute of it!

Because I had so many pictures of the week, I just went ahead and put together a little montage for you guys. Nothing fancy by any means, but at-least you can see our week! But don't forget to pause the sidebar music first! :)

And finally...to wrap up the week and this post...this is a little picture of Ellie the day after Kim left with her big-girl pig tails! She was just so cute that day that I HAD to share it with you!



So off I go now...having taken nearly all of naptime to blog today, but so glad to have been able to do so! And the best part of this moment....as I look outside, it is pouring down SNOW! Who said life was boring?! :)

Love to each of you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better. It is really hard when you get stuck in a rut! I love the picture of Ellie in her big girl piggies. What a wonderful montage...looks like you all had a blast. Miss you!!
Love,
Heidi

Cindy Tomaszewski said...

ellie does look adorable in her pigtails...helena has been sporting pigtails a lot lately also (because otherwise the poor darling has a mullet!). helena has that same pullover from old navy!!! so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

What an AWESOME update!!! Well worth waiting for. It makes me happy to hear your heart happy. And great pics! You've gotta frame the one of the two of them on the swing. And SUCH a cool playhouse! Love you!

Sarah Jean