Monday, March 9, 2009

Superhero

As most four-year-olds are, my little man is currently obsessed with superheros! Every chance he gets, he is either dressed up in a Buzz Lightyear costume (thanks Sarah!), fighting against a make-believe foe with anything he can pretend is a sword, OR...

Dressing up in this.....




....the only mask we own and the only thing suitable to pretend as a cape. (By the way Mom...someday, I do still intend to put that awesome sewing machine you gave me to good use and sew him that cape I've been talking about for so long! Someday....)

It was about a week ago as I was getting my shoes laced up for a run in the late afternoon, that Luke walked up to me dressed in this very 'cape' and mask and asked if he could come along with me.
"You want to come with me? On my run?" I questioned.

"Yeah. Pleeease?!"

"Why? Are you sure? You'll have to ride in the stroller." I asked as I secretly hoped he would retire the thought so I could enjoy a little exercise-induced solitude.

"That's okay! Can I go? Please, please?! I want you to run fast so it feels like I am flying."

(By the way, I DON'T run fast! But I guess to a 4 year old, anything faster than his two little feet can carry him is considered fast!)

Seeing the sweet, excited anticipation on his face (at-least what I could see of it behind that elusive mask, mind you!) I acquiesced.

As I chugged along my route, I occasionally looked down to see the cutest look of sheer delight on his face! At one point, his arms were outstretched and he seemed to be pretending to fly!! It wasn't until about 5 minutes later that he turned around and pleaded with me to let him get out and run alongside me. Knowing that he is actually pretty quick, I unbuckled his straps and let him trot beside me for a spell. And I have to tell you that I will NEVER, NEVER forget those few moments there on that sidewalk as I ran alongside my four-year-old son! The image is burned in my mind even now....the late afternoon sun streaming through his bright pink cape...the black antenna of his mask flopping wildly with every tromping step...the sound of his little vans paddling the concrete and his infectious giggle resonating all around us! A car or two passed us by in those moments and I laughed wildly as I imagined them catching a glimpse of that bright pink cape flapping in the wind and the two of us running there together...empty stroller and all! We were certainly a sight to behold!! A glorious, silly, unabashed few fun moments with my son!!! What a gift! I hope someday, he'll tell me he remembers it too!



No comments: